View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
RD may have made the mistake of not bailing on this rag-tag bunch before the start of the race (and THAT was a pretty serious mistake), HOWEVER, it is the skipper of the boat who is ultimately responsible for ALL the problems in this case:

- The skipper didn't properly prepare the boat
- The skipper didn't assemble an adequate crew for such a race
- The skipper didn't properly provision the boat
- The skipper didn't have the experience to be the skipper of a boat sailing 2000+ miles of open ocean
- The skipper (apparently) has absolutely no management skills (his ownership of a mediocre sushi bar notwithstanding)

Yes, RD may have been in over his head with respect to flying a spinnaker, but it was the skipper's responsibility to make sure that the crew could handle the sails. The skipper totally lost control of the situation because he could neither sail the boat himself, nor bring himself to handing over that responsibility to someone who could do so.

This.
Damn, times sure have changed since I last crewed in an offshore race... I suppose nowadays, crew are expected to to serve a function little different than passengers on a Carnival Cruise ride, and sometimes - as rockDAWG put it - his "luck ran out", and he finally wound up with a Captain Schettino in command...

I once did a Chicago-Mac back in the 70's as a last-minute walk-on when heavier weather was forecast, but every other race I've done, the crew was intensely involved in the prep of the boat from the get-go... In fact, the owner/skipper was usually the LAST one to arrive on the scene, by that time the watch captains and the rest of the crew had everything sorted, and every single crewmember knew where every single item on that boat had been stowed, etc... As it should be, of course...

The last Bermuda race I did, the program commenced with the first get-together of the crew 9 months in advance, with two more gatherings over the course of the winter... Scores of emails and phone calls during that interval, relating to every conceivable facet of the trip...

Sure, the skipper/owner bears the 'ultimate responsibility', but any crew worthy of sailing a race like the Transpac should have been able to see this was a boat one would not want to be on well in advance...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook