SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Sal, what you said about commercials is why I mute them when watching TV. Then I usually get up and do something until the show comes back on.

But if you pay attention to gender roles in commercials, it's very clear cut. Women cleaning the house, men in the garage or yard. The women are always smiling, using those amazing cleaning products. Kinda reminds me of The Stepford Wives.

Title IX gets a lot of credit for female participation in sports but when you look at the statistics, you'll see it started before Title IX was actually enforced, during the Clinton years. It started during the Women's Liberation years when women had to get out of that house with those amazing cleaning products and live life.

There's a park adjacent to our property with a baseball field. Come spring we see kid's baseball teams fill the field. It's usually the girls. When they grow up they won't think twice about getting out there with their kids, be they boys or girls, and showing them how to play baseball. The use of those amazing cleaning products will, hopefully by then, no longer have gender attached to them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook