SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Damn, times sure have changed since I last crewed in an offshore race... I suppose nowadays, crew are expected to to serve a function little different than passengers on a Carnival Cruise ride, and sometimes - as rockDAWG put it - his "luck ran out", and he finally wound up with a Captain Schettino in command...

I once did a Chicago-Mac back in the 70's as a last-minute walk-on when heavier weather was forecast, but every other race I've done, the crew was intensely involved in the prep of the boat from the get-go... In fact, the owner/skipper was usually the LAST one to arrive on the scene, by that time the watch captains and the rest of the crew had everything sorted, and every single crewmember knew where every single item on that boat had been stowed, etc... As it should be, of course...

The last Bermuda race I did, the program commenced with the first get-together of the crew 9 months in advance, with two more gatherings over the course of the winter... Scores of emails and phone calls during that interval, relating to every conceivable facet of the trip...

Sure, the skipper/owner bears the 'ultimate responsibility', but any crew worthy of sailing a race like the Transpac should have been able to see this was a boat one would not want to be on well in advance...
Okay, so it's obivous you've got a bit of a pudgy for giving RD a hard time. Whatever. I'm not here to defend the guy by any means, but your arguments are pretty weak in this particilar case. Here's a rundown of why...

All the stellar crew performances you list above...these were crews put together by the skipper. Again, it boils down to him/her. And that's the way it should work...no doubt. The problem is in this case, the skipper didn't do his job. Don't blame the crew.

You guys are getting your noses up because RD hadn't flown a spinnaker before - so your conclusion is that he had no business crewing a TransPac. Well that's not your call. That's the skipper's. Maybe RD lied about that. I don't know. But neither do you. Again, blame the skipper for allowing it.

Finally, on the above argument...maybe he hadn't flown a kite before. But according to the story, he certainly handled it better than the skipper and was perfectly willing to go up the stick and fix the skipper's repeated clusterfinks. And he was able to drive the boat well enough under spin to avoid his own clusterfinks. That's some pretty quick learning I'd say.

So, feel free to hammer on RD. I don't really care. But at least do so with some facts and not all the uppity hyperbole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook