SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

I am a commercial pilot, but have never flown a 727 in my life.
So if some random 727 flying airline wants me to be a copilot and the pilot has NEVER FLOWN ONE EITHER and is NUTS, you might admire my native flying skills for getting the thing to Hawaii in one piece, but my judgement would be terrible for not jumping right off and running away in the first place
I suspect J.E and I share bit of the same kind of offshore experience and this trip screamed DISASTER from the first paragraph compared to what a "normal" offshore trip is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay, so it's obivous you've got a bit of a pudgy for giving RD a hard time. Whatever. I'm not here to defend the guy by any means, but your arguments are pretty weak in this particilar case. Here's a rundown of why...

All the stellar crew performances you list above...these were crews put together by the skipper. Again, it boils down to him/her. And that's the way it should work...no doubt. The problem is in this case, the skipper didn't do his job. Don't blame the crew.

You guys are getting your noses up because RD hadn't flown a spinnaker before - so your conclusion is that he had no business crewing a TransPac. Well that's not your call. That's the skipper's. Maybe RD lied about that. I don't know. But neither do you. Again, blame the skipper for allowing it.

Finally, on the above argument...maybe he hadn't flown a kite before. But according to the story, he certainly handled it better than the skipper and was perfectly willing to go up the stick and fix the skipper's repeated clusterfinks. And he was able to drive the boat well enough under spin to avoid his own clusterfinks. That's some pretty quick learning I'd say.

So, feel free to hammer on RD. I don't really care. But at least do so with some facts and not all the uppity hyperbole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook