SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
post #248 of Old 08-03-2013
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
Sounds like the owner was desperate to run the transpac. To the point he scrapes the bottom of the barrel to find crew after a known qualified crew that he'd sailed with in two Puerto Vallarta races opted out. Notably, Randy mentioned that the owner had the boat listed as a live aboard.

Then you have jake & rock, who are desperate to get on a transpac boat, such that they agreed to crew on this boat, last minute, sight unseen, captain unmet, and race rules unstudied.

Not surprisingly, these, together, culminated in at-odds goals, unpreparedness, clashing personalities, and appallingly infantile behavior, resulting in the rather predictable albeit entertaining... as in "three stooges of the high seas thank gawd no-one died"... outcome.

Proving yet again that desperate people do desperate (and stupid) things.

In the end, regardless of the shoulda coulda wouldas, afaics rock has clearly demonstrated that he has no compunctions whatsoever resorting to violence under duress. Yes, the captain brandished the winch handle. However rock was the one who punched the captain in the nose. So, I, personally, am not the least bit surprised the captain cowed to rock's bullying after that. That rock would then paint himself as victim while smugly talking about taking legal actions speaks volumes.

Btw, and aside, when I read rock's description of the captain, I must admit, I was immediately reminded of the temperamental, though, quite harmless, Chinese cook from my days working at a Chinese restaurant when I was a teen. The cook regularly screamed something in Chinese while brandishing a large hatchet looking knife. Not once was I concerned that he was gonna chop anyone up.

In the end, and imho, any way you cut this, everyone was at fault for this fiasco. That is, except for, perhaps, the 86 year old mother-in-law.
Well put.

Steve,

No ones got a pudgy for Rock. The skippers weaknesses are obvious. However you seem to want to be an apologist for Rocks choices and behavior.

You went so far as to try and denegrate the Captain with one of 48 reviews of his business from the Yelp site. The worst one as a matter of fact, and it wasn't representative of the other 48 reviews at all. Why did you do that. Why did you cherry pick that skewed review?

Have you researched Rocks evaluations from his employees, they are available and aren't very kind. Seems like you are ok with presenting a one sided view here

It isn't about flying a kite. It's about all the choices including threatening the Captain, hitting him, taking over the boat. Calling the CG, the organizers, and the friging USNavy. he wasnt in iminent danger, he just wasnt getting his way.

Remember the other crew would have gone with the Captain had their last mate come along.

By the way I am curious where's the tape, movie we were promised. There is a completely other side to this story I am sure. The TRUTH as we know is probably somewhere in the middle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome