SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising south Florida and Bahamas
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising south Florida and Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppian View Post
I have a 36' sailing catamaran at a home marina in Hollywood FL. I am planning a number of trips in the south Florida area and the Bahamas to observe and record data on dolphins and would like to find like-minded people, interested in dolphins to crew for me and help with data collection.
We love dolphins, but guess what? The only place we saw them (in the Bahamas) was in George Town. That was in two months of cruising from Bimini to George Town. I am curious and wonder if this is normal? The months were May thru June.

Not seeing any on the Banks side, I wonder if they are only on the Sound side? We did see many rays and nurse sharks.

We were anchored off Monument Point near George Town, and had a mother and her little one swim around the boat for about two hours, two days in a row.

The only other one we saw, once again, hung around for quite awhile. We think it might have been sick! A couple of times, it would surface and make a loud "coughing" sound. I've never heard a sound, other than the normal exhale from any dolphin before. Any ideas?

Ralph
Temporary home | sailing away with R & B

Last edited by RTB; 08-03-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook