SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising southwest Florida - restaurants with docks
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013

Pdnesbitt is on a distinguished road
Cruising southwest Florida - restaurants with docks

I'm getting ready to take my wife cruising to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We chartered a Hunter 41DS and will be departing from St Petersburg. I plan to head south and explore the coast down towards Venice and on to Sanabel Island. Almost all of my cruising experience is on the west coast and northern gulf, so I'm excited about cruising in a whole new region.

I do have a couple questions for those of you that have travelled in this area; first, anchoring. I've got the charts and have plotted quite a few anchoring locations that others have recommended, but the entire coastline looks pretty shallow. Is there any reason, other than weather related of course, that I can't just find a nice spot on the gulf side of the keys and anchor each night?

Secondly, I would like to get my wife off the boat for a couple of nice meals. Does anyone know of some waterfront restaurants in this area that I can just navigate up to and dock my boat for dinner? I'm not really interested in docking in a marina over night, and I just don't want to mess with a dingy unless I have to.

Thanks,

Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook