SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?

That is the same draft as my boat and with almost 9 feet of draft I haven't felt myself constrained much. I keep my boat at Nanny Cay in the off season and getting to the haulout pit can be a bit challenging due to some shoaling and one can't get into Anegada but in calm weather one can always anchor outside the entrance markers with the other "big boys"

Although one can head out to a marina inside the lagoon in St. Martin, the anchorage is out - the only place I found to anchor was still halfway inside the channel and I was still churning up muck with the keel while swinging at anchor.

After that the anchorages further south are all deep enough for a deep keel, sometimes I end up anchoring further out in places such as Deshaies or Portsmouth in Dominica, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The only place that is going to be off limits, if I intended on heading that far up north, is the Bahamas.

All in all I like my deep keel and given a choice wouldn't reconsider and go for a shoal keel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook