SailNet Community - View Single Post - Confused about which oil weight to use
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Confused about which oil weight to use

In the manual for my 3GM30, I believe there is a water flow graphic. Maybe you can look at the one for your engine, look at the path of the water to see where there may be some clogging. The head gasket area would be my guess. Is it possible that someone put a head gasket on upside down or reversed in the past and blocked some ports? If you could isolate the head and put a LITTLE flow through it with a hose, maybe it would tell you if it was blocked. Be careful putting pressure with a hose as it can ruin the head gasket seal and get water in the cylinders. It's usually not recommended to do that but if you're going to pull the head off anyway, maybe you can try it. How many hours are on this motor? How long has it had salt water running through it? Cast iron becomes crystallized by salt water after many years and at some point actually becomes porous, especially if the engine is not flushed between uses with fresh water. Your engine is probably not old enough for that but it's something to consider. http://www.oldmarineengine.com/techn...rrosion_1.html

By the way, your 3600 RPM is quite high if you're running at that RPM continually. Most of these reach hull speed at around 2800 so revving up any higher is pushing the limit.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to smurphny For This Useful Post:
DixeyJulie (08-04-2013)