SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?

My question, however, is how much of a difference in performance is there for cruising? For one, I find the shoal keel to make very little difference. I'm sure I slide a bit more to leeward at the highest point, but I'm cruising, not racing to a mark. If I have any room to spare, I may just have to point a tad higher than the performance keel, then there is virtually no difference in VMG.

On the other hand, having a shallower draft is clearly an advantage around the shore.

Again, I have no beef with anyone that wants a deep keel for cruising. I just haven't heard anyone even attempt an explanation on its cruising advantage. To me, it seems that slight advantage would be lost, while I was eating a sandwich on a cruise and failing to trim properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook