SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Certifications? And two of the surveyors closed up shop because they couldn't afford their dues, or business was slow?

That sure wouldn't impress me. Kinda like a guy saying he used to own a five-star restaurant, but he closed because it was such a bother keeping the kitchen clean.

What nonsense, and still a far cry from anything like "licensing". Possibly the largest organization for marine surveypors in the US is SAMS and their incredibly high admissions standard calls for one take-home exam and one "I swear I'm a surveyor, really":

1.SAMS® Application (included in Membership Packet)
2.SAMS® Admissions Exam (included in Membership Packet)
3.Submit one survey for each of last five years of active surveying
4.Resume
5.Business Card
6.Notarized affidavit attesting completion of 12 surveys per year for each of the last five years
7.$150.00 non-refundable application fee

Unless they actually go back and obtain your business records and contact past customers, that's not a terribly hard list to fill, is it? And it really doesn't prove that someone is sober, hardworking, or on the mark.

Sue you? No, but I'd like to let anyone who finds the thread know for sure that unlike engineers and architects, marine surveyors are totally unlicensed, are not subject to any review of professional standards, and are strictly a matter of luck and reputation.

Would licensing be any improvement? Probably not. Plenty of restaurants fail their health inspections year after year, and stay in business.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook