SailNet Community - View Single Post - SMCM Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Yeah, we were in that pileup and finished just in front of you. Like seconds ahead! Would have been really cool if we hadn't all just spent an HOUR clawing our way in.

Got a good start and were actually ahead of the NAVY boys for oh, about 25 min, then they did a horizon job on the fleet. Our rating is just about impossible to sail to but we had a great night. Cool, but not so cool as to need a jacket or fleece, breezy but not so much that we were pounding. Really more boats need to do this race. Esp. since they moved the start time for the slower classes to 3pm.

We were ALL SET to pop the symmetrical when we turned up the St. Mary's and all of a sudden we got headed. I checked the wind and called for a change to the asym. Me and the new bowman that is replacing me scrambled and got the asym hooked up just seconds after rounding the mark and by then we were almost beating. Never did fly the sucker. Just goes to show how quickly things can change.

I may even put my boat in the cruising class next year and take on my Wed night racing opponents!