SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

david, i don't think there is a "standard" contract, certainly not for private sales. Standard from broker's organizations, sure, but that's not this.

And your response to sell "as is where is" could get you in trouble in a number of US venues, where that's illegal for any type of motor vehicle sale. Ah, yes, there are warranty laws (or merchantability, of suitability for use, etc.) that crop up in all sorts of pesky places. Not to mention, federal versus state laws.

And with 61 venues (50 states plus the 11 insular possessions, and maybe DC makes 52) when someone says "show me a statute" I have to ask, what color paper would you like to see it on? Sixty one or two venues, sixty three if you count federal overrides....There's plenty of rules to go around.

And you know, if I believe half of what I read in the papers? They're passing more of them every year, because would you believe, there are people out there who keep getting arrested for ignoring all those rules? Tsk, what has the world come to?! Businessmen ignoring laws! Oh my goodness, so shocking. So so shocking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook