SailNet Community - View Single Post - SMCM Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Well we finished in the bottom third of our fleet, but "woulda', coulda', shoulda''" finished more like mid pack. We were right there with the middle of our fleet right up to the St. Mary's mark at which point my tracker conveniently disappeared I assume due to my cell phone battery giving up. That would prevent anyone from watching the replay from seeing what I'm going to confess. We tried squeezing between a boat ahead and Chancellor Point and didn't make it. I join the elite ranks of skippers that have run aground within site of the Dove.

The entire crew went into emergency mode to douse the aysm and switch into "what now mode". Between backwinding and kedging we got ourselves spun around and free in what seemed like only a few minutes, but I expect might have been more like 1/2 hour or more.

Still it was a fantastic ride down the Bay and I achieved the goal of seeing the sunrise on the stern rather than the port side and gained redemption from the drubbing johnnyquest37 put on us last year.

Everyone on the boat this year were great, doing whatever it took to keep the boat going, sails optimally trimmed, the crew fed and tactics calculated. I'd like to give a big shout out to Sailnetters Sabreman and bobnpaula as well as my two HHSA crew who helped me make the race happen this year. This year was the first time I felt I didn't have to try to do it all, and between having time to "get my head outside the boat" and having several good sailors giving input (which never turned into divisiveness) it really made for a great sail.

I also have to thank my wife that went above and beyond to facilitate getting the boat ready and provisioned, facilitating crew transportation home and helping me deliver the boat back home.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-07-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook