SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I think it goes without saying that you might be GOD up until people think they are going to die because of your actions. Then they do what they think they need to do to survive. At least I hope they do. No one is going to willingly die of thirst because the captain is a Farquaad.
Its up to a point. It has to be. Who determines where that point is? Where the danger or the certainty of death gets to the point that the captain has no more authority?

The people on the boat.

No?
No. If you cannot accept that there's one person making those decisions for the greater good, and that includes the necessary rationing of water, deciding when to shorten sail, when to abandon, then stay ashore. It isn't a democracy or a debating society. Harry clearly lacked leadership skills on top of his lack of sailing skills. I agree with smack et al., that the command vacuum was probably the greatest contributor to the saga. That said, an experienced skipper probably would have sussed out RD's own issues before they cast off and left him high and dry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook