SailNet Community - View Single Post - That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...

I sailed my buddy's gaff rigged cutter Hanna 28 footer "spray" inspired thing "with him" from Marco Isalnd to the Key's the other day. No big deal, I do that trip all the time. We left at 4 p.m., putted out on the one cyl diesel, caught some wind, cut the engine at sun set. "Get some rest dude" I say. "Pass up a cup of wine and a swicher sweet cigar and I'll take it till I can't" So he does, lay's down, and there I sat, 15 on the forward beam, all flags fly'n. I had just drank a pot of espresso. Stary night. I'm feel'n good. So there I sat Till 9 oclock the next morning! Dude never came back. Left me out there. And when he did get up, after 2 hours of making himself some coffee and us some breakfast, as soon as he took the helm and started the eng. to motor through Big Spanish channel, the engine sucked up some goo and died. So I take the helm so he can fix it. It won't start. No big deal. I said "shake the reef out" that we had just put in "so I can sail it through the cut". The shackle that holds up the gaff breaks, and the sail flops into a weird shape, and is stuck in in the up Position. So now we have no eng or main sail! Luckily I had picked up my A-sym spin. at the sail maker and just happen to have it with me. I sail it for 8 more hours down wind to the N west Channel in Key West while he messes with "HIS" mess. 26 of the 30 hour trip I spent at the helm. With a few thank you's, but mostly dealing with his attitude. And yet to see the bottle of Havana Club he promised as a thank you jest. I chose to go and decided not to wake him for his watch, so I did make my own bed, but yeah, the whole thing kinda sucked, Believe it or not, it would of been easier to do my self. The more I sail with other dudes, the more I'm reminded why I single hand. I posted a pic of hour 20 at the helm with the spin. up and the miss shaped main. Thanks for letting me vent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1097630_10201137842561424_1823005600_o.jpg (35.8 KB, 264 views)