SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Thanks for the foam coating and paint info BS. I'm still a bit dubious as I can't see running my fingernail over the entire inside of the coated hull. But I get your drift. How much experience have you had with the foam separating from the inside of the shell? Is it common? Uncommon?

You don't have to worry about me using this info to compete with you. I'm just curious and I like to learn. I am convinced we will never compete for the same client. I have zero against steel boats. It' just not a material I chose to work with at this point. But my clients don' ask for steel boats and they most assuredly do not even remotely consider building at home.

Case in point:
See that photo of my office with Erica, holding Bram? If you look behind the lovely Erica you will see a yellow model standing on end. That was one of two tank test models we built to test a 42' powerboat design of mine. Each model cost $9,000. Cost of two days of tank testing was about $30,000 not counting my considerable time. We do not fish for the same same fish. Tank testing is a blast; grown men playing with model boats hooked up to computers. You would be uncomfortable Brent. There's lost of numbers involved. You can learn a lot by watching and have long print outs to verify what you see. Secretly I would bet a bottle of Glenmorangie that you would get a kick out of tank testing. Hell, I'd bet three bottles.

You know BS, in that repsonse to Mark I think you had better take another look at your math. You are getting a little creative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 08-05-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook