SailNet Community - View Single Post - Warning on Irwin water tanks
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013

rmjohns is on a distinguished road
Warning on Irwin water tanks

I have a 76 Irwin 10/4 and finally got around to looking into why the water in my fresh tank smells funny. The tank is integrated into the V-Berth so the cushions lay across the top of the tank.

The fill on this was simply a hose fill in the top of the tank that I replaced with a 3" cleanout port. Once I was able to see in the tank, I realized it was in bad shape. I simply cut the top of the tank off and was surprised to find that although the bottom and sides were fiberglass and gelcoat, the top, and baffles that are attached to the top and drop down into the tank were simply painted plywood. After 30 years, I'm amazed there was anything left in there. I hate to think what chemicals they used in 1976 to treat plywood.The plywood baffles were so rotten I could simply push my finger through them.

If you have an older Irwin and still have the original water tank, I'd check it carefully. I never drank out of mine because of the smell and I'm glad I didn't.

I'd post some pictures, but apparently I haven't posted enough for the site to allow me to do that.

Now, what to replace the tank with..

Rob.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook