SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or Shoal Keel on New Oyster 575?

Bob,

I would have no doubt there would be a BIG difference in 4' as to how much lead one would have to add. Hence why the CB versions of some of the boats have such a slow rating, the lead is probably all in the upper 2-3' of the keel per say, in the housing below the hull. Now that I typed all that giberish, not sure if it made sense.......hopefully it did.

Now if I could figure out how to make my current boat 6' deep! then put the lake rig on it......not sure what that would do to the rating or speed or what ever.....probably not worth it frankly, better to spend some money on a proper designed boat in the mid 30' range, wife would be happy as it is bigger, for me faster.........

If I could afford an oyster, not sure 4' would be an issue, or the putting a daggerboard like Icon has or some of the other larger boats in the Oysters class of boats. That would be my way to deal with this issue. Not that 10' here in the salish sea is an issue, other than Fishermans bay on lopez or slot going thru laconner. Even those places one could get a 10' draft thru them if one had to. FB would be the harder one! Since at 0 it is 5' deep or there abouts, max I have seen is 9', so 13' of water to deal with......hmmmmmmm.

Marty