SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just found a stanchion had loosened and was leaking pretty badly last weekend. I pulled it out, cleaned out all the cruddy goop that the OEM used to bed it and re-bed it properly.

Would anyone expect me to inform a buyer that this had happened? No core damage.

I'm just thinking that yesterday's survey is meaningless.
Really? Totally meaningless? So if you knew that there was a survey done last year on a boat you were thinking of buying, you wouldn't want to even see it? I wouldn't rely on an old survey to make a purchase; I mean you don't know the provence or potential bias of whoever wrote it, and all sorts of things can happen in a year. But you wouldn't even want to see it? At all? No interest whatsoever?

I disagree. I would definitely want to see it. I would use it as one more tool in my evaluation of the boat. I would compare the old survey to my survey to see if conditions had changed, and if repairs had been made due to the earlier survey. When I bought my boat, my surveyor interviewed the owner and used that information in preparing the final document. I would want to see if the story the owner was telling had changed from last year to this year. Maybe the owner told the first surveyor about rebedding the stanchions, but that story "slipped his mind" this time around.

I can think of many more uses for an older survey, but I don't want to beat a dead horse. I think that any survey will have information that may be useful in your evaluation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook