SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice
Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice

We had a Catalina 25 on a bay that was smaller than your lake. It was a nice boat with a shallow draft, but after a while the bay started to feel small. I think you'd feel the same way with the Grampian. The beauty of the smaller boats is that they can be fun on much smaller bodies of water. They get up to speed faster, handle lighter winds better, and are a lot of fun for day sailing. If you aren't interested in overnighting aboard (or, even if you are, but you're OK with "camping" aboard the boat) then the daysailstyle boats would be a great choice. Anything in the 14-18' range would be nice, depending on what you can pick up locally. Are you looking new or used?

The O'Day and Sunfish are drastically different boats. For me, I'd go with the O'Day. I like having a place to store "stuff" like coolers while underrway, and I like the idea of an enclosed cockpit rather than sitting on top of the boat. The sunfish are more likely to capsize, too. That being said, the Sunfish is the epitome of fast, fun, small monohull boats. It would be highly responsive, but not as comfortable as the O'Day.

Personally, I'd probably cut my teeth on the O'Day and then see if I liked it and was interested in a bigger boat. I'd probably have a 14-16' if it wasn't for the fact that I sail with my family (and my wife wanted a cabin so our kids could get out of the sun).
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
manitoucarl (08-06-2013)