SailNet Community - View Single Post - That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...

Aaron,
I hope you are lucky enough to one day find a true sailing partner.
I've had two in my life and they made the experience so much better for me.
My first wife went from a spoiled NY girl to the perfect crew and together we sailed from SF to the Seychelles. Through good weather, gales and hurricanes, that girl was a rock and together we could sail our boat anywhere and in any conditions. Losing my wife wasn't near as hard as losing my crew.
Nikki is the second; she set sail w/ me from Newport for the VI, via Bermuda, never having sailed a day in her life.
Now she does it all, trimming sheets, furling sails, polishing metal or plastic and taking long watches while I get some shut eye. She loves being on the helm, working through the island lees, catching a lift here or getting headed there. We share cooking so I don't get bored w/ mine and she'll do the dishes more often than she should.
A true partner, friend and companion, she a much better conversationalist than my cat.
She does not want to be the admiral and at times will refer to herself as the sCrew, for she is also my lover, of course.
With the right person, there is nothing better than sailing together.