SailNet Community - View Single Post - That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: That kinda sucked, but I chose this life so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Sometimes people that are close to us will take us for granted. Happens all the time in friendships, marriages, and families. You just have to find in your heart to forgive and forget. He needed you, you were there for him, you scored some good karma points that will come back to you some day. And sounds like you also had some good sailing time. Not bad my friend, not bad at all...
And thanks for sharing this story.
That's how I'm looking at it. I'm also known to do all the over night shifts on deliveries and also when I single hand my own boat. I did want him rested for the next day so I could rest. I could see him tossing and turning for at least the first few hours of my watch, so I knew he wasn't sleeping, And then when I could hear a little snoring, I didn't want to interupt the R.E.M state he was in, plus, with a pot of strong coffee in me, I would of laid awake for hours in my hot bunk any way's. He's actually a great sailor and friend. I almost took his head off with a flat nose shovel in a South American Ship Yard over 20 years ago, so we have survived some brawls and come out closer on the other end.
As for Capta and his dream crew, I had that once back in the early 90's in the form of a 22 year old 5 10 natural Blonde surfer girl. She was the best helmsman I've seen to date. I would drag her behind the boat 300 miles off shore so she could poop and bath. Tough as nails, super salty. She was great with a tiller, couldn't get the feel of a wheel though. She was invited on Bob Bitch'ns boat one time and was humiliated by her inability to the find the sweet spot. But she could steer a tiller with her foot down 8 foot seas for hours while eating and apple and reading a book.