SailNet Community - View Single Post - SMCM Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Dude, you're too hard on yourself. We were aggressive. Say that ten times.

We met adversity and prevailed when we could have given up. Say that twenty times.

Seriously, It was a fantastic ride and getting unstuck was a highpoint for me - no wind, no engine, no way to get an anchor any distance from the boat (too many jellies) but we did it.

Sailing close hauled from 0100ish to 0230ish with 15kts AWS, well balanced sails, with stars, the Milky Way, shooting stars, and phosphorescent jellies, was priceless. Thanks for having me.
I'm with you, but it WAS my bad never checking to make sure the person on the helm kept a sharp eye on the sounder after deciding our best chance to place was to slide inside the boat ahead.

After looking at the replay, I know the two boats ahead of us were in our class and both owed me time. Paradox, who we owed time, was behind but I'm not sure she was far enough back that she wouldn't have beat us on corrected time, so if we'd been successful at our aggressive move it might have gotten us at least 2 or maybe 3 positions. After our ungrounding we crossed seconds ahead of Paradox, who I owed something like 45 minutes.

If the helmsman called our that we weren't gonna make it, gybing probably would have cost us at least one spot. The cruising class split into two clumps of boats almost at the start and we hung with the lead of the second group right up to the bitter end. The early group benefited by being able to sail the rumb line from Pt Lookout to St Mary's 1, while the slower group got headed and all had to make a tack or three in the Potomac.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook