SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing 201 Quiz
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing 201 Quiz

Quote:
I'm thinking you need to heel her and kedge her off, no wind to assist. [...] Toss anchor to seaward side,
Quote:
I would put the boom out and have half the crew hang on the end to heel the boat.
These two are the closest to what we did. It wasn't my boat and just sitting wasn't an option nor was calling TowBoat (violation of the Conditions). What we did to get off:

1. Upon realization of grounding, immediately dropped the asymmetrical spinnaker, and released the mainsheet. The intent is to keep from grounding harder.
2. Set the genoa and backwinded it.
3. Put the boom out and hung 3 crew from it. At this point realized that the bow was starting to push a little to leeward.
4. Kept the genoa backwinded to increase the pressure on the bow and increase the pivot force. We only had <1 knot wind so all this was in slow motion.
5. Since it was now apparent that we were not stuck too hard, we decided to kedge. Dropped the Danforth about 1' aft of the pushpit and ran the rode to the port bow. Miraculously, it hooked and we moved the rode to the starboard bow to make the angle better. Two crew pulled and the boat moved a little. Reset the anchor 2 more times in the same fashion.
6. A little wind (1kt) moved the bow, and the head began to swing. Trimmed the main and we were free.

The time that elapsed from grounding to sailing was about 30 minutes, maybe less. While we messed up by grounding on a well charted point, excellent communication and crew work allowed us to get going again. Unfortunately, we lost 2 positions in the race that we were in.

Last edited by Sabreman; 08-06-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook