SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
post #497 of Old 08-06-2013
oceangirl

Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Well, too many to rate biggest bonehead move, so i go chronologically.
First time to take a sailboat out alone. Was 19 years old in a cute little compac 19. Maneuvering out of slip, outboard motor stuck in reverse almost hitting a large mega yacht. Finally realized that I couldn't get motor into neutral cause I had the RPMs too high. I then, in a panic, to avoid said mega yacht, threw motor into forward. Now screaming forward, (RPMs too high), I had the helm hard over to avoid rocky shore ahead. I was pretty sure I'd clear the rocks. I did. But I didn't clear the huge tree leaning out over the water. A thick tree branch wrapped around the mast, curling up and over my spreaders. My sailboat was stuck in a tree, good and stuck. A guy on a research vessel docked nearby saw the spectacle, kindly climbed the tree and untangled me. I limped back to the slip, branches and leaves covering my deck. My first solo voyage distance 100 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome