SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013

LetsGo is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
There's been a lot of questioning as to why you and rock even left the dock with the owner.

How did all that play out and what was going threw your mind
Very good question. Several other potential crew members did see the obvious, and walked away in the weeks before the race (there were at least 3 of these). They, however, had the good fortune of being local, and getting to meet the owners well in advance. Both rockDAWG and I had come from the East Coast, and only rock had actually spoken with "Harry" himself (but since he speaks very limited English even after 17 years here, that conversation was very limited). For my part, I had only spoken to "Jane"—and although she was clearly a bit batty, it didn't seem like toxic battiness. Whoops.

Once I was there at the boat, I did come very close to walking away. Obviously I should have, but there were three reasons I didn't:

1. I'd come from far away and was excited about my first offshore experience.

2. I wasn't worried about the trip itself. I knew it was not a hard trip to do (it wasn't, technically at least). I saw right away that rockDAWG was more than capable of captaining the boat by himself, let alone with me co-crewing.

3. I figured the crazy personal stuff was manageable. It wasn't. That was just wishful thinking. I can't speak for rockDAWG, but I know he'd done dozens of offshore deliveries and other trips, and had never run into a big personal problem with anyone—which perhaps explained his confidence in this regard.

Of course it's easy for me to see now how stupid it was of me to not walk away, but that's hindsight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetsGo For This Useful Post:
Coquina (08-06-2013), oceangirl (08-06-2013)