SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Well, smack, since a dsq is a penalty, I suppose one can read it both ways. The event rules take priority, as they always do, and they can also penalize you by dsq'ing you, which would harmonize with the racing rules.

That would be the RC's choice, to apply a penalty of points, or a full dsq. But since they say "penalty" and do not expressly say "dsq", I don't think that would hold.

A navigator normally does not need to know the rules of the race, he just needs to say "go here" and the skipper can let him know if that's a problem. But I'd be really surprised in the skipper, navigator, tactician, and watch lead didn't all attend every meeting, simply because there's always something relevant and more heads on the boat that understand the bigger picture, usually means a better outcome.

Ain't rocket science, the event rules always have been the final word. Anyone who is not a USSA member can puzzle themselves about that, or join USSA and then they're obligated to tell you "Yeah, that's how it works" since they are the governing body of sail racing in the US.

Unless of course the racing rules say "this is not a USSA sanctioned event and no USSA policies etc shall apply of govern here." Never seen that, but it would be possible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook