SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Buying a pretty little 25 foot sailboat on ebay and then starting home with it down the intracoastal. I was boarded by the Coast Guard before I got to the intracoastal. Lucky I had the proper transfer forms and safety gear on board.

The problem I had was I left without getting the key to the outboard clamp lock from the P.O.

Yup! The outboard came loose and fell into the drink. I recovered it by the grace of God and a stout fuel hose. $300+ and it is good to go again.

Still gettin' the registration sorted, but I have now hired a pro. who says "its no problem". It just costs money and takes time...

Oh, the towing bill was within $500 of what I paid for the boat. I now have UNLIMITED.

Who thinks I didn't want to just go below and play dead that sunny afternoon?

YER WRONG! I sure was tempted to go below and just have a nice rest while the tow boats and barges did their worst, but the mosquitoes wouldn't let me rest. So I put on my big boy pants and called the Coast Guard who got me in touch with TOWBoat US.

All arrived several hours late in the best order that could be expected for such a bone headed blunder!

Have FUN!
O'

Last edited by OPossumTX; 08-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook