SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013

LetsGo is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Simple question....did the Captain not want to fly the spinnaker? Did he not want to fly it on his shift? Did he not feel comfortable flying it at night? Did he express either of these feelings?
I think "Harry" saw rockdawg and me flying it competently and felt he could too—and was far too macho to admit that he needed it taken down.

And even after it sank in that we needed to use autohelm, Harry still maintained, against all evidence, that autohelm really couldn't be used for flying a spinnaker. (This guy had a truly massive machismo problem.) That's why he didn't, and kept messing it up, even after July 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
How many days before the race did you arrive? When the sail maker showed you the kite, why didn’t he show you how the net was to be rigged on the boat? How did you guys fly the kite? For example, did it have a sock? Please walk me through the gybing procedure. Why didn’t you guys pole out the genoa at night so Harry could sail wing-on-wing? What was the watch schedule? Did you guys ever have to sail through a squall?
There was no formal watch schedule—Harry was far too disorganized for that, and it wasn't the sort of environment where rockdawg or I could propose one. We did sail through squalls. See above answer for wing-on-wing answer. Kite had a sock, and there was a net, but after the net got fully tangled once (thanks to some remarkable, net-proof mess-up of Harry's), we stopped using it. (Perhaps this was a mistake.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook