SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
I think "Harry" saw rockdawg and me flying it competently and felt he could too—and was far too macho to admit that he needed it taken down.

And even after it sank in that we needed to use autohelm, Harry still maintained, against all evidence, that autohelm really couldn't be used for flying a spinnaker. (This guy had a truly massive machismo problem.) That's why he didn't, and kept messing it up, even after July 19.

There was no formal watch schedule—Harry was far too disorganized for that, and it wasn't the sort of environment where rockdawg or I could propose one. We did sail through squalls. See above answer for wing-on-wing answer. Kite had a sock, and there was a net, but after the net got fully tangled once (thanks to some remarkable, net-proof mess-up of Harry's), we stopped using it. (Perhaps this was a mistake.)
Wait a minute champ. You're saying that you and RD HAD to use the AP when flying the kite? IOW, neither of you two superstars could hand drive the boat under the kite as required by the rules?

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-07-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Pope Francis "understands my ire" but would appreciate me not using his bosses name in vain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook