SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would You Sail This Rig Across an Ocean?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Would You Sail This Rig Across an Ocean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckedOutRob View Post
I'd be interested to know from those who build/repair/understand rigging, if the following setup on a "bluewater" boat sounds correct:

Boat in this case is a 42 foot masthead sloop (modified fin keel and skeg hung rudder) of excellent reputation. All standing rigging is wire. But the following don't add up.

1.) deck stepped mast
2.) double spreaders (not swept back)
3.) all shrouds (uppers and lowers) connect to a large single chainplate each side in line with the spreaders.
4.) there are NO fore and aft lower shrouds
5.) it is a cutter rig with removable staysail stay
6.) standard heavy single forestay and single backstay

As I looked at the photos of this boat it struck me that it might be at a high risk for rig loss. This due to the fact that since the spreaders are not swept back creating a secure "tripod" to stabilize the rig there would be nothing much to stop the rig from going overboard if part of the rig failed. There are no fore and aft lower shrouds to keep the rig upright should part of the rig fail (headstay, backstay). All shrouds connect to one beefy chainplate. Why would someone design rigging in this way without any fore and aft lowers? Is there something I'm missing? These boats are known to cross many of the worlds oceans but I'm thinking whoa, without a keel stepped mast the rig depends on complete non-failure of just about any part of the standing rigging. I would have thought that due it being a deck stepped mast fore and aft lower shrouds should be mandatory.
...scratching my head.
My Cal 2-27 has such a set-up, with the exception of the cutter rig, and it has a singe pair of spreaders. Granted, it's only a 27' boat, and not considered a "bluewater" boat at all, but the rig seems to be fine. My boat also has massive shroud chain plates (relative to the size of the boat). The biggest problem with such rigs is that in very heavy winds the mast can have a tendency to "pump". On the Cal 2-27 that may be part of the reason that the mast section is pretty beefy relative to most boats of that size (although, it still will pump just a little in strong winds). On your boat, the inner stay may help with such "pumping". I have heard of folks replacing the single lowers with fore and aft lowers to help with the pumping problem (on other models, not the 2-27).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 08-07-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook