SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
This whole water kerfuffle mystifies me. The boat in question tips the scales at about 10 tons. Somehow I really SERIOUSLY doubt that filling the tanks would have made much of difference in her performance. I think the skipper just forgot to top them off before he left. He sure doesn't seem to have put a whole lot of thought into much else (like a decent sail inventory, organizing a shakedown cruise or two, making sure that HE knew how to fly a spinnaker, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera).
It does affect trim... quite a lot... and if you're in race mode, you certainly don't want to carry water in the wrong place if you can help it at all because, depending on where the tanks are located, it can definitely slow you down.

Never mind the water, I've known people to shift their entire engine and drivetrain a couple of inches forward or back just to get the balance right.. and then use Velcro tape to hold up ceiling linings just to save the weight of screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Finally, how is "Skippy" going to get his boat back to SoCal? Is Chef gonna crew for him?

Last edited by Classic30; 08-07-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook