SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
The whole water bit seems to be their main sticking point. Yet, from the description (i.e., Jane taping up the faucet & hiding the bottled water, complaints about only getting 1.5L of water a day), I was left with the impression that they were acting like rebellious teens trying to sneak water above and beyond whatever they were being rationed. Which, in turn, begs the question, if they were so worried about running out of water, why were they trying to sneak extra water? Idunno. Maybe it's just me but the logic seems rather circular.
If it's hot and you're doing the kind of strenuous work often required on a sailboat, 1.5 l of water is not nearly enough. Is that what this "captain" planned for? It isn't even enough if you're sitting on your butt doing nothing. Water is a CRITICAL issue. Keeping hydrated is a long-known critical factor in any sport. Planning to deprive crew members of adequate water is ludicrous.