SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar hard starting question
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Yanmar hard starting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
just like I have a LOT more than most people do, but I give my opinion based on my experience. I get a lot people who seem to think that my being in Texas or my being a full time oilfield mechanic working on both old and new engines somehow translates to my not knowing my stuff well enough to work on a 1975 model engine. Fine, I have too much work as it is, and have had since I was a kid, take your engine to someone else, get your free advice from someone else or not, it makes me know difference at all.

I have my own engines to work on too, and I am trying to get time to do them, but it seems that other people's engines keep getting in my shop and I do not have the time or the room to do any more than I am right now.

My brother told me once not too long ago that the reason he never gives out free advice and consultation is that the people asking are just going to argue, and not do what you advised them to do anyway, so why waste the time? He is certified with Cummins, Mack, Caterpillar, Detroit, Perkins, and a couple of others as well as Allison, Eaton, and some of the others, and together we have done a few mechanic jobs over the years, but no one wants to listen to the things people getting paid to do the work have to say. Instead they go around until they can find someone who agrees with them.
Wowee...

When you can spout years of experience repairing, maintaining, troubleshooting and servicing small diesel engines in a marine environment, then maybe you will actually have the credibility that will generate the respect you so desperately think you currently deserve.

To date, the sum total of your bragged-on diesel experience- driven "advice" is to pimp two manufacturer's fuel additives.

Hey, you want us to bow to your "experience" and take your "advice" without question? Get your story straight. Depending upon which thread one reads here, you are a truck driver, or a water expert, or a mechanic with 28 years of experience who doesn't understand torque, or a pipe inspector, or a guy who has watched steel get loaded and hauled. You come in here three months ago bragging on 10,000 offshore sea miles in one thread, then in another thread admit that you have crewed on two Gulf cruises on other people's boats that ended early.

Pick a story and stick with it.

If you and your brother notice people arguing with the "advice" you give maybe you might want to reconsider the value of that advice.

BTW, i notice you brag on your brother's certs, but where's yours? I mean, after all, if you know more than lots of us, allegedly have 28 years of experience and get hissy when anyone questions your advice on additives, maybe you can show us some "Texas Diesel Mechanic of The Year" plaques or Westlawn diplomas or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 08-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook