SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Smack,
The "no water issue" is not really an issue. The CG, Navy, or any one of a number of container ships running between California and Hawaii every day can and would drop water to these men and woman within hours notice if they really needed it. At most they are 1500 miles from Hawaii or CA and that is less than a 4 hr flight by the CG with air drop capabilities.
I guess that's what's interesting here. On the one hand you're right. The "water emergency" was perhaps more perceived than actual. I don't know.

On the other hand, if ANY skipper/sailor planned or operated with such contingencies in mind (e.g. - someone will be close enough to bring me food, water, fuel, etc.) - they would be deemed a threat to everything we hold to as standard "seamanship". Further, this notion would absolve the skipper, the crew, or anyone else of mistakes made in this regard...or get them into far more trouble than they already were.

To me, the real issue is how a skipper plans and executes the voyage. That should ALWAYS be done under the guise of responsible self-sufficiency. And if that self-sufficiency is undermined, to the point of a potentially life-threatening state, every measure should be taken to remain self-sufficient as long as possible. That's what the people on this boat did in the long run - with encouragement to do so from each contacted authority from what I can see - and it worked out. And that was the right thing. It was just very messy in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook