SailNet Community - View Single Post - SMCM Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013
Rocket Scientist

Cap'n Russ is on a distinguished road
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Yeah, we were quite ready to get off that boat! Our skipper hand-wrote our finish time on the results board (as per the SI) when we finally arrived, I'll tell him to follow-up with the race committee. We tried to raise them several times on 68 and via cell phone when we realized we weren't going to finish at a normal time but never got a response. I was the tactician for our crew and even though the tacks I chose pretty much matched those of the cruising class and then the fast boats later on, our boat was really slow and did not point well which caused us to trail the fleet down the Bay. Still, we were only about 2000 meters behind the next slowest boat in the cruising fleet when they rounded Point Lookout. We rounded Point Lookout at about 8:30 Saturday morning and the wind started to get fluky and fizzle. It went dead calm on us when we were about 5 miles up the river. Finally, at about 2:15, a light breeze came up and we started moving again. In total, we spent about 7 hours waiting on the breeze which is what really killed our time! When we finally made it to the St Mary's River, the wind was up and coming squarely down the river forcing us to use just about the entire width of the river on our tacks to keep our overall boat speed up. The crew did a magnificent job executing the tacks I called for as I monitored our progress on the charts, it was definitely our finest hour of the race.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook