SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would You Sail This Rig Across an Ocean?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Would You Sail This Rig Across an Ocean?

As you describe the rig, unless the mast section is wildly stiff, there should be a baby stay (or jib stay) and runners to prevent pumping. The runners should be attached where the removable jib stay attaches to the mast. It would not make sense to have runners (or checkstays) below that unless the spar is a 'noodle'.

The moment connection at the base of the mast and below the deck, is similar to what I had a small boat (28 foot) rigged and I would do something similar to that on my current boat if I planned to go offshore. But this modification may be more extensive than simply adding welded plate. To be effective, the plate below the deck should be welded to the top of a column with a similar moment capacity to the mast and which is attached and braced at the hull near the keel and so it can distribute vertical, longitudinal, and side forces, and which is attached and braced at the deck so that it can distribute longitudinal, and side forces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook