SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Crikey!! .. and to think I let TDW take me and Bentsailor aboard for that rather damp HCW 24-hour race not all that long ago...
I'll have you know there is nothing borderline about our schizophrenia .....

Actually that HCW* fiasco offers an interesting take on race v cruise preparedness. To get to the starting line we had to complete a coastal passage from Sydney Harbour to Lake Macquarie. This passage was pretty much hard on the wind most of the way, into a moderately nasty chop and windspeed that maxed out at between 35 and 40 knots. OK, so our girl has pretty good cockpit protection in cruising mode, but we didn't even need wet weather gear until we were motoring over the Swansea bar. It was in fact quite a pleasant passage.

To the race .... cockpit covers removed, six not two people on board, no auto pilot and really pressing on. Wind about the same though a lot more rain. Damn that was miserable. Other than a spirit of cameraderie and a crew that gave their all that was about the most miserable 24 hours I have ever spent on board a boat. Had I not been the skipper, I reckon I would have mutineered.

* HCW = Heaven Can Wait 24hour race for charity helod annually on Lake Macquarie NSW.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook