SailNet Community - View Single Post - Money??? Also recipe book
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Money??? Also recipe book

I have known a lot of distance cruisers that have supported themselves on a small income earned while crusing. It is really hard to support yourself from writing and photography, but I did have a friend that was quite successful writing romance novels while she was cruising. She would bang out half a dozen or so of these ''formula'' novels a year under a number of different nom d'' plumes. She also wrote for magazines and wrote science fiction.

I had a friend in Miami that earned money by teaching sailing, weather and celestrial navagation but he was a U.S. Navy pension that went a long way toward covering his expenses.

One of the best ways to replenish the cruising kitty is to be a jack of all trades. I have known a lot of cruisers who developed repair skills at almost every aspect of repairing a boat. A good ''boat husband'' can earn a good living if they have skills in boat carpentry, engine repair, marine refrigeration and air conditioning maintenance and repair, rigging, electrical and electronics, varnish and finishing work, etc.

These skills take some time to develop but if you or your fiance'' (by the way, not that I spell all that well but Levi is your fiance'' and you are his fiancee'' neither of which are spelled ''finance''. ''Finance'' obviously is something else.) can develop these skills, and if you carry your own tools, and let it be known that you are available there is plenty of work out there. This work can be cash and carry or through boatyards that in most larger ports can almost always use a skilled hand.

In the 1990''s, when the I.T. business was booming, I knew that itinerent computer geeks that really made out well. Today, that is a harder course to follow.

I would also suggest that you get a copy of Anne Hill''s ''Voyaging on a Small Income''.
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook