SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Ouch...

A good opportunity for us, perhaps, to divert the conversation to someone else's screwup... :-)

Coast Guard, Wayfarer Marine respond to sailboat aground off Lasell Island | PenBay Pilot

I'm guessing there will be a serious reduction in her $2.4 million asking price....ARCHANGEL is a Hylas 70, I saw her in Hampton a couple of years ago prior to the start of the Caribbean 1500, where she was the "flagship" of that year's fleet...

David Walters Yachts

I can't imagine being aboard a boat of that size, and having the rig come down, that would have to be a terrifying experience... Amazing no one was seriously hurt, or worse...

I'd love to see how that area is displayed on electronic charts of the area, how it compares with my paper, whether there is any discrepancy... Nigel Calder addresses the issues that arise in the conversion of existing charts to digital in HOW TO READ A NAUTICAL CHART, and actually uses the ledge at the entrance to Camden harbor, just off Wayfarer, as an example of how the cartography of an area of such detail can be altered on an e-chart... If anyone could post a pic of how the detail of the area around E Goose Rock shows electronically, it might be interesting...

How accurate are our charts? - Ocean Navigator - January/February 2003

Sounds like he was headed for Pulpit Harbor perhaps? I'm guessing since it is a charter yacht, they'd probably been thru that passage numerous times before... I'm gonna hazard a guess that a degree of 'complacency' might have played a role in this one, perhaps a somewhat casual reliance on waypoints used previously thru a rather tight passage for a boat of that size, a possibility that would be even further increased by the absolutely perfect weather and sailing conditions at the time... The tide may have just begun to ebb out of Penobscot Bay around that time, which could have played a role in setting them down on that ledge, presuming they were on a course to just clear the southern tip of Lasell Island...

At any rate, whenever a very experienced professional captain puts a multi-million dollar yacht on the rocks in a heavily trafficked, well charted area, on a perfect summer afternoon, it should serve as a cautionary reminder that the sort of electronic 'piloting' most of us are doing today certainly isn't foolproof... :-)

I'd really be curious to see what the keel looks like... Wouldn't at all be surprised, if some rep from Hylas is already at Wayfarer, with a 150 X 10 foot 'curtain' at the ready... :-)

Just glad nobody was hurt, boats can always be fixed...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook