SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

I have read a few articles on how our reliance on electronic charts and plotters had increased the groundings, accidents, and sinkings. Once, when paper charts were the norm and you had to take physical readings, you never really knew exactly where you were. You had to fudge it a bit and give known hazards (and some suspected ones) a wide berth.

With the "accuracy" of electronic charts and GPS, many sailors and powerboaters are cutting it a lot closer, thinking that what they see on the chart is really there and that the GPS is telling them exactly where they are on that chart.

This does not take into consideration shifting bars, mismarked hazards, and even other boats that may have sunk there.

I have spent too much time with a paper charts to cut it close, I prefer a good wide safety area around my boat

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook