SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Here it is from Garmin Mapsource.

BTW, I have sailed through there many times and always stay close to Lasell I.

Thanks, Tim... no discrepancies that I can see, looks virtually the same as my paper chart of the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Hey Jon, I understand going from 6-7 kts down to zero would put a lot of stress on the rigging, but I am a bit surprised it demasted the boat. Is that unusual? Does that surprise you?

Brian
Yes, the dismasting surprised me, as well...

Only thing I can figure, is that the grounding exerted such a violent upwards pressure on the keel-stepped mast, and forced it to buckle... The rig on that boat is carbon fiber, which being somewhat 'brittle' (for lack of a better word), might have been less forgiving than, say, aluminum to such a violent shock... it may actually speak to the integrity and overall strength of the chainplates and shrouds on that boat, that a massive compressive force was put on the mast from the keel, but the standing rigging allowed no movement to help absorb the shock... On the other hand, perhaps the impact did cause a failure of a chainplate, and subsequent loss of the rig... That's the only thing I can think of, at the moment... I suspect we might have a better idea if we'd actually witnessed the grounding occur, but I'm guessing it all started with a dramatic movement upwards of the keel, even a deflection of the bottom by an inch or so might be more than sufficient to cause a failure somewhere else in such a "highly strung" rig...

Be interesting to see what Jeff H or Bob P might surmise...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook