SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Ouch...

At any rate, whenever a very experienced professional captain puts a multi-million dollar yacht on the rocks in a heavily trafficked, well charted area, on a perfect summer afternoon, it should serve as a cautionary reminder that the sort of electronic 'piloting' most of us are doing today certainly isn't foolproof... :-)

I'd really be curious to see what the keel looks like... Wouldn't at all be surprised, if some rep from Hylas is already at Wayfarer, with a 150 X 10 foot 'curtain' at the ready... :-)

Just glad nobody was hurt, boats can always be fixed...

Hey Jon! I know you like like to find the fault in "electronic piloting", but I don't think that's the demon here.

I hit that rock 13 years ago with a paper chart in my lap. I wasn't the first, and Archangel won't be the last.

That is actually a wide(1/4 mile plus) and well traveled passage used regularly by local schooner traffic under sail as well as a good portion of the heavy pleasure boat traffic that cuts a near straight Easterly line from Camen Maine to Pulpit Harbor.

The rock he(we) hit is about 4' under at HW. It's well charted but as we know, if you become a little lazy piloting, rocks get hit.

Down on the docks I heard some talk, "They should put a marker on that rock". I heard that after my episode when I had to run my boat a half mile to Lasell Is and up on the beach to save it.

A marker might help, but with the heavy boat traffic, somebody will hit that rock, now and then. I never will again.

Archangel must be built like a tank because despite having to haul off that rock, she's floating fine in Camden right now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Archangel docks.jpg (52.9 KB, 301 views)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook