SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
Tom:

Active Captain has a warning posted for this rock (I think it is this rock) that says the following:

"Give this marked rock extra clearance to the North because of a submerged ledge. Several boats have reportedly gone aground just north of the charted rocks. Also, beware the ebb current can set you southward of your intended course."

At least according to this, it sounds as though perhaps the rock is a little farther north than the chart shows (although I'm a bit suspicious that perhaps that is just a convenient excuse for getting caught by the ebb tide).

Thoughts?

Shame about the boat. Looks like a beauty.
Wow! We're discussing this same grounding on the CSBB cruisers forum.

This rock has sunk some boats, including mine.

Just a few minutes ago, poster Larry posted that hazzard addition to AC. I'm new to AC and just downloaded it on my Bluechart App. I just checked and it's not on mine because I suppose I have to reload-the download or sign in again. But you must have the new AC software?

Being a local that uses that passage often, I don't think it's an inaccuracy of the charts(I will paste your post over on the CSBB, thanks). I would bet Archangel had no intention of cutting that rock closely and intended to traverse generally through the middle.

At low tide, you're likely to just run it visually staying about an 1/8th of a mile off Lasell Island to the North, and the "obstruction that covers", which is THEN, clearly visible, 1/8th nm.,to the south.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook