SailNet Community - View Single Post - Document or register my vessel?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Document or register my vessel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I wish that was the case now. I filed my paperwork back in the middle of April. The NVDC is JUST NOW getting to papers filed in April. NJ DMV (where I'll register the boat) was insistent that the boat HAD to be documented at the USCG (it was previously documented) before they would register it. I know that isn't right, but since my plan was to document it anyway, I didn't put up a fight. Once I get the USCG documentation, I'll head back to NJ.
Ugh. At least you didn't have to deal with this one: My boat was built in the UK in 1971. This was before boats had standardized HINs, so my hull number is a simple 4 digit number. This just blew the minds of the good folks at the NY DMV. Took me multiple trips and arguments with the supervisor before they would let me pay sales tax and register the boat. It didn't help that my CG documentation says "Year unknown". This is because the NVDC refused to accept a copy of the Lloyd's build certificate for my boat, showing the keel being laid in 1971, as evidence of the year of build because it did not also indicate that an engine was installed at the time! They didn't seem to care that said engine was at that time listed on ebay and a nice new shiny one was in the boat ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook