SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I would definitely go with inboom over inmast. Just was not an option when I bought the boat. Short of cost, not sure I see any benefit of inmast over inboom.

B
Of course, all this is pure speculation on my part, who knows if it being a furling mast had anything at all to do with the rig failure... No doubt, GMT knows how to properly engineer these things...

My first thought regarding the dismasting, however, was to wonder whether they might have been sailing under a headsail alone, without the main to act as a reinforcing/stabilizing influence in the event of such a 'sudden stop', and the massive inertia that could put on the rig.. A second glance at the photos, however, quickly confirmed they did have the main unfurled...

Nevertheless, one thing I never like to see, are boats beating to weather in a good blow, under headsail alone... I'm afraid many people don't appreciate the importance the mainsail in such a scenario, and how helpful the stabilizing effect even a deeply reefed main can have, in helping to reduce mast pumping, and keeping the mast in column...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-08-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook