SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
So, imagine for a moment the boat in the bottom pic, sailing 6-7kts with the sails under load going from 6-7 kts to 0 kts in a heartbeat ? Yeah, I could see the rig failing.

She may have been wearing her staysail as well
I dont know Poopy. I bet there was some give when he hit (probably as he listed over). I am just guessing, but I doubt he went straight to zero like he hit a brick wall. I have no doubt he came to a stop pretty quickly though. But still, how would that compare to a hard Jibe or tack in strong winds, which that boat should take?

This is probably a Jeff or Bob question, like Jon said earlier.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook