SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many young people (say 35 or under)out there
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: How many young people (say 35 or under)out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobpt View Post
I am 37 and my wife is 34 and we have two small kids. We own a S2 9.2a and sail up on lake Erie. I found it interesting last year when one of the club members asked me "What boat do your parents own?" They were shocked when I said we are full member and that 30 footer over there is ours. I would say we are easily 10-15 years younger than the next youngest member with a sailboat.
We've met a bunch of really nice helpful folks at the marina where we're taking our first baby steps in sailing venturing out on our Pearson 26. One particularly nice gentleman talked with us for quite a while.. he was very enthusiastic about sailing, his boat, our boat, learning, and the yacht club based at the marina. He extolled the virtues of the club, the people in it, the facilities... really wanted us to join, and we might. One of the things he mentioned is that they'd really like to see more young people like us involved in the club; they could use our youthful enthusiasm!

Here's the gotcha... we're in our mid 50's!

That made our day.

Best to all,

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook