SailNet Community - View Single Post - Free boat, or free headache?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013

tbrokamp is on a distinguished road
Question Free boat, or free headache?

Hi all,
I am a new member, but I have a dilemma and would appreciate some opinions. I have the opportunity to take possession of a 1964 Pearson Ensign for the price of the jack stands that it is currently on. The owner started a restoration by removing the hull paint, topside fittings, and the wooden floorboards and bench seats, but progress has stopped and he wants to get rid of it. I am wondering if it's worth the time or if I'm digging myself a hole.

I love Ensigns. It's why I'm considering a project boat, and I have the motivation to finish the job.

My issue is knowledge/experience. I grew up doing jobs around the house, some carpentry, and some random other stuff. I'm good with my hands and can follow directions and use a tool, I've just never worked on a boat before. As far as I can tell, the hull is in decent shape. I felt a lot of if and there doesn't seem to be any soft spots and it looks pretty good. The boat has been stored in a barn for the last few years, so it's been kept dry and relatively clean. My primary concern is that the owner has removed the head that was originally installed, and has patched (somewhat incompletely imo) the holes in the hull. I have asked for more information on how the holes were patched, but I am expecting to have to redo the work. Other issues are some gouges along the gunnel and a pretty sizable (maybe 2"x2") square of material missing from the edge of the deck, just forward of the cabin entrance.

All the wood is in decent shape (just not installed) and I know I could handle that. I just don't know if I'm biting off more than I can chew with the hull and deck repairs that would be required.

Opinions/advice/allegations of insanity? I wouldn't be considering it if I didn't know what restored Ensigns sell for, and this boat seems like a good candidate. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook